Graduate, got my first interview for an accounting job in a well established accounting firm. Interview day, I am wearing my favourite African print blazer,black skirt and low court shoes. Couldn't be more pretty.. I arrived an hour early and sat at the reception. Everyone was looking at me, especially my blazer! So I though I must really be looking pretty and unique hahaha. I remember thinking I will definitely bring some colours if I am hired..how naïve I was.

Here is the picture of the blazer I wore that day.. looking a little old now but I have been wearing it for the past 3 years now and I shall treasure it all my life!

My interview was awesome I knew I had the job, then before leaving the interviewer ask me if I will always be dressing with prints and vivid colours... I smile and cheerfully said Oohhh yes I love wearing prints.. He replied' We have a strict dressing code here, nothing colourful  and minimal prints' I knew straight away I will not be happy if I had to work there or any other office job.  Where would I get a job given that most accounting firms have similar dressing code? I knew I had to change my career but how can I do so after studying right up to a master degree, how was I suppose to start all over again? For months I was sad and depress and during that time I remember my love for prints.

More chapters to follow.. We shall be updating you guys on how journey every single day!

Please comment below for any suggestions,thoughts.. we really appreciate!

July 06, 2015 by Christelle Nganhou

Comments

Ida

Ida said:

It is great to see two sisters dive into entrepreneurship, we certainly need more of that. You guys are an inspiration for many other women to follow their dream and I wish you much much success! It is important for young adult to know that they do not have to take the conventional route and that they have option, they can create their own option as you did. Also wonderful to see how sisters are helping and supporting each other and that you are promoting our culture to the world. Looking forward to hear more about your journey.

Jazz

Jazz said:

Such an inspiring story! Wow you took a leap of faith! Best wishes and keep following your dreams and passion.

Chrisanetta Dunlap

Chrisanetta Dunlap said:

I love the blazer and your patterns and prints are beautiful! I would treasure the opportunityto wear some of your items. That’s why I was so disappointedwhen my order was canceled. Anyway I applaud you for having the courage to step out on faith and follow your dreams. Much success to you and look forward to big things ahead! Dream big!!

Chrisanetta Dunlap

Chrisanetta Dunlap said:

Ava Richardson

Ava Richardson said:

When one door close another one opens. In your case, doors and windows sprinkled with faith an courage. Birds fly, but eagles SOAR! Love your clothes!

Mauri

Mauri said:

Having worked at a job that literally tortured me for thirty years, I say follow your bliss!!! Do not let anyone speak to you of reality and being practical. Believe in yourself and leave any and all “Negative Nancy’s” to the curb. They will always be with us.

Finally, in retirement I am following my dream. What’s crazy is that I’ve earned my pension and there are those around me who begrudge it. Live your dreams darling….LIVE!!! I like looking at your designs and the gorgeous fabric choices. I see big things for you.

Blessings of peace love and abundance to you.
All the best in 2016

Holliday

Holliday said:

I experienced something similar as a Physical Therapist Assistant student. I flunked out of the program a month before graduating with my 2 year Associates Degree in the field. Throughout the 2 years, we were to wear nothing but a uniform (navy pants, white polo shirt and white lab jacket, hair pulled back in a bun, small stud earrings, no perfume (or oils in my case). That whole scene affected my style, my personality…the essence of who I am. I am someone who expresses herself through clothes. The day I flunked internship…I was not upset but relieved. I couldn’t wait to get back to my clothes. (I did eventually open a massage therapy practice and wore scrubs, but I only did it part time. Very different because I was my own boss)!